Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Green Roofs

Hello out there. My name is Connie, I'm a student at UC Irvine and green advocate, nice to cyber-meet you! 

Have you ever heard of a green roof? If not, I'll tell you a little bit about it. In a nutshell, a green roof is like having a low maintenance lawn on top of a building to provide benefits like stabilizing the building's internal temperature, creating a natural habitat for wildlife, and preventing storm water run off. Universities like UPenn and Chapman have projects like this on their campuses, which has made me wonder why we don't have something like this on UCI's campus...I believe it's doable. 

My project is called youCgreen and my goal is to create a green roof on one of the buildings at UCI, preferably the Social Ecology building by Middle Earth (one of the freshman dorming communities for those of you who don't go to the UCI). I want the green roof to be a rooftop study lounge kind of area for students to enjoy the great outdoors while reading and catching up on hw before class and just to hang out. Hopefully youCgreen will eventually expand out to other UC campuses to start green roofing too. youCgreen is still in the fetus stage, its existence was conceived just a few days ago. Follow my blog to keep track of its growth. I'll update it as much as I can.

I'm so excited about youCgreen and would appreciate your support. Spread the word! If you have any questions, ideas, or just want to chat, feel free to email me at youcgreen@gmail.com. Thank you!

More sites to learn about green roofs:

Chicago Gardens

Wise Words of Wikipedia on Green Roofs

LiveRoof

No comments:

Post a Comment